HOWTO: Send free text messages through email

NOTE: Messages still incur the cost to the receiver who will always have to pay for an incoming message. This method makes sending free.

If you ever need to text someone on their phone and you’re at a computer you can actually send one through your email account. Just send an email to their address below based on their phone service:

Verizon: 10digitphonenumber@vtext.com
AT&T: 10digitphonenumber@txt.att.net
Sprint: 10digitphonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
T-Mobile: 10digitphonenumber@tmomail.net
Nextel: 10digitphonenumber@messaging.nextel.com
Cingular: 10digitphonenumber@cingularme.com
Virgin Mobile: 10digitphonenumber@vmobl.com
Alltel: 10digitphonenumber@
message.alltel.com
CellularOne: 10digitphonenumber@mobile.celloneusa.com
Omnipoint: 10digitphonenumber@omnipointpcs.com
Qwest: 10digitphonenumber@qwestmp.com

Remember, they will receive this message as a txt, so keep it short and basic.

Info was from Gmail: Help Center

Please DO NOT use the comment form below to send text messages. It doesn’t send texts.

Comments

1. Maybe you should mention that the recipient will be charged by using the above method. But then those who do use this method, should expect to be crossed of a few christmas lists.

There are services out there that provide free sms, the one I prefer to use Peekamo, but what you use it not the point, as long as you use one that really is free.

2. Nick,
    How are you going to be charged by said method? It involves sending an email. Last time I checked….sending an email is free.

3. Mark,

had you actually READ the previous post you would have noticed the word ‘RECIPIENT’. This is an important word here, and clearly indicates (to most) that it is the person who receives the message that pays. Sending it is free.

4. Jimbo,
    Understood. However, when you send a txt message from your phone, the RECIPIENT is charged for an incoming txt. You, the sender, are also charged for an outgoing txt. The above method makes sending free. It still costs money for the RECIPIENT to receive the message though on their handset.

The title of my post is “HOWTO: Send free text messages …” which means the act of sending is free.

5. I found an even cooler site called http://www.enotifyme.com it allows me to convert my email to voice (email to phone) and listen to it on any landline or mobile phone and I can reply by voice back to the originating sender :) They also allow ‘cascading’ so I can selectively have emails reach me at home, then on my cell as a text message, then at the office and so on – kind of the ICQ version of what teleflip’s 1 trick pony approach is about.

6. Hi Mark,

I think the point Jimbo is trying to make is that the cost to the recipient is exorbitant (£5.00 in the case of one of the “free” sites I’ve just tried), so caveat emptor :)

This is only displayed in small print at the bottom of the web page, but I’m in the UK, so don’t know if things are cheaper in the US?

Most mobile phone providers (in the UK, probably worldwide) offer this service via their own websites.

Cheers, Richie

7. hiya, is there a site from where I can send free text messages to an UK mobile and for the recipient to reply so it would go to my email? Thanks in advance

8. you can send free texts from aim and clones (gaim, pidgin, adium, ichat etc).
    to field = phone number in international format (works oly for us phones). if phone = 234 – 567-8901 send message to +12345678901 and type the message.
    dont need to know the provider.

9. Why not try Zemble.com? They’ve been around for quite awhile and make it super easy to send free text messages through e-mail; far simpler and more intuitive than the above listings.

I’m a big fan of the site.

Josh

10. Or you guys can just use AIM. Put their mobile phone on your buddy list, and BAM. Instant free text messaging (for you). I’ve been doing it for years, and I never knew people actually went through services on the internet.

11. Pingback: links for 2007-11-25 « Amy G. Dala

12. I use this all the time to text cingular and alltel and it works like a charm for me! No word on the cost to reciever, but no one has mentioned an abnormal text bill… And with a family of accountants, that would definately come up.

13. You guys have to pay to receive sms?! Incredible! Here in Europe only the sender has to pay for it and usually it’s possible to send 100% free messages through the carrier website…

14. Pingback: Email someone a SMS text message | Savage Nomads

15. Okay, i sent free text’s all day long to my old girlfriend through the celloneusa.com site. They were just bought out by at&t and dobson, anyone have an idea how to get a text through now? I cannot find it on the new site.

16. I have uscc and everything incoming is free, i even opt for the incoming calls. All new customers get free incoming txt, pic, and video messages. Then for $10 for the account you can add free incoming calls.

BTW TJ that is a messenger not a txt messenger. if you are sending any kind of a txt message to someone that doesn’t have free incoming then its not free for the reciever. No matter where you send the txt message from it is not free for them.

17. Pingback: HOWTO: Send free text messages through email | Inside the Mind of Sators

18. Pingback: To iPhone, or not to iPhone…

19. Pingback: Daily Diigo Links 10/09/2008 « Chalkdust101

20. Pingback: Reaching the Mobile Masses at Tech Generation

21. I know that this probably a shot in the dark but I wonder if you would mind helping me. I am trying to email from the USA to my friend’s mobile phone in the UK. When I phone him I use 01144 for the international dialing code then his mobile number. Do you know how I should type the email address? His carrier is Vodafone UK.

When I type the email address to AT&T numbers in the US I do this ……. number@txt.att.net

22. The 10-digit@carrier is a basic way of sending text messages through the Internet to a phone, but it’s just a 1 time deal. It doesn’t allow scheduled messages, recurring messages or an easy way to message multiple people. If you need to schedule a message to be received in the future, I’d recommend a web site like textReminders.net. Free, easy to use, and has some neat advanced features.

23. Hello there,

Been reading many us are feedup with the huge ebay fees they are charging. I was too, so thouht I was share my info on how I continue to sell many items and pay no listing fees. After some research a few months ago I found:

TheStreet – This is totaly free to signup, use, list and sell your items and has over 4 million views a day. I’ve found it extremelty usful for UK sales.

CQOUT- Simply put this is Ebay only worldwide competitior, they do charge a $1 signup fee to prove your identity. However all listings are totaly free upto $200 and multimillion views daily from all over the world. This I found is especially good for the US market.

I hope this help some of you improve your sales on this bad time of world econimic markets, so it can only help to get free advertising and sell your items. If anyone knows anymore, please post here so I too can benifit.

24. Hola,

This is the second time I use these website, cause is very convenient for me to find out how I can send a text message to my boss and customers. I got there cell number and I want to send them an email from my computer. I want to thank DJIZZLE for including a comment for all my cricket buddies. Thanks.

Flor

25. i think its a great way of communication in a time where life is hard seeing how the economic crisis seems to be just getting lower and lower…we don’t have to get credit for our fone …instead we can use this mean of communication basically because its fast,efficient and manageable…

26. THANK YOU I NEEDED THIS CHART WITH ALL THE @CODES TO SEND TXT MESSAGES THROUGH MY EMAIL. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! AND SENDING A TXT MESSAGE THROUGH YOUR EMAIL IS FREE OF CHARGE SO DONT WORRY ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE SAY GUYS!!

27. I have been trying to send emails to text through teleflip.com and it does not work. I have even tried to look up the website http://www.teleflip.com to see if I am doing something wrong but the site does not exist. Is there any other way to send emails to text when you do not know the receiver’s carrier?

28. Hi Toni,
    It looks like Teleflip no longer exists. I will update the post so no other people get confused. Thanks for pointing it out.

29. My only question is, what shows up on the recievers bill? does it show incoming txt from my email? or incoming txt from a random number?

30. the best way is to use yahoo. just create an account go to your mail page and next to “new” (like for new email) there should be a drop down arrow click it and press send text massage. after u txt it will show u previous massages like if you were using chat.

31. so wat if u know their number but not their carrier. can u jst use the yahoo txt message thing. and can they sent messages back to ur email???

32. The one for AT&T doesn’t seem to work for anyone that I send a text to that has an AT&T phone. They always say that they don’t receive them.

33. The one problem I have is not knowing what network my friends use. Some of them change their network often.

Would be better if there was a way of just providing the full international dialing number e.g. +441234567890@txtmsg.com. That way, you send to anyone in the world and not worry about their provider.

34. Site Offered In 6 Different Languages.Free Online Texting,Phone Calls,Television(2000Channels+),Listen To Music (No Downloads Required) And Much More At http://www.jeocall.tk No Sign ups Required No Hiden Fees Just Click JeoCall This Is Also Compatible With Iphone,Ipod Touch And Ipad!

35. I am very grateful that I chose your website for the information I needed. It was extremely helpful at a time of need. Once again I am grateful, have a wonderful day.

36. Ok, so my boyfriend lives in a different state than me. But i dont want to text him and or call him b/c i dont want him to get my number, so if i send him a email to his cell phone number hell be able to see it?

37. Question – I understand sending a text to a phone with an area code and a number. What if you don’t know what service they are using? And what about the ones with only a five digit number? Mostly these are businesses. Can you still text from your computer?

38. Дизайн студия “Московские шарики” предлагает вам свои услуги в оформлении ваших праздников воздушными шарами.
    Осуществляем доставку композиций из воздушных шаров. Работаем быстро и качественно Москва и подмосковье, 24 часа в сутки, 7 дней в неделю. Адекватные цены.
    Подробнее о нас можно узнать в интернете по адресу: http://www.mosharik.ru
    Телефон для связи (499)408-6781, (926)805-4737 (круглосуточно, без выходных)
    Электронная почта: moshariki@gmail.com

39. variant1 file_links\asd\countries.txt,1,N] file_links\asd\countries.txt,1,N] file_links\asd\countries.txt,1,N] file_links\asd\countries.txt,1,N] file_links\asd\countries.txt,1,N] file_links\asd\countries.txt,1,N] file_links\asd\countries.txt,1,N] file_links\asd\countries.txt,1,N] file_links\asd\countries.txt,1,N]

40. Hi.
    I love your blog. This is very interesting to read.
    I am curious why I didn’t find this blog before.

I will try to spread the word. Some of my twitter friends will love it.

Thank you and keep’em coming!

41. Hi, I tried using the yahoo text messager by sending a message to a metropcs phone and nothing was received. Is there something additional that I need to setup with the phones provider? Or does this service just not work on metro phones. Also I tried it on an Iphone and it was received.

42. We give out financial assistance to those who have a dream business but is faced with the challenges of finance.We help you actualise your dream faster and easier in a way of rendering you financial assistance.You can obtain loan from us at a very low interest rate.Grab this opportunity now.
    You can contact us via our mail, ( westernfunds@yahoo.com )

43. the best way is to get the recipient to send a txt to ur email first to see if ur email client supports it second to get the guaranteed address to the phone i have found that the best email client for txting is gmail also u can send pics but it works the same way get them to send u a pic from there phone cuz txt’s and pics use a different address but same number ….example

@vtext.com = txt’s

@vzwpix.com = pics

hope i helped :)

44. хочу познакомиться с девушкой Зеленокумск
    семейная пара познакомится Любань
    свинг знакомства Старый Оскол

45. Found a great new MX website
    GoMotocross.com website for racers, riders and fans. Motocross track
    and trail listings, clubs, schools, articles and supercross news
    motocross news. http://www.Gomotocross.com chad reed james stewart ryan
    vilopoto

GoMotocross.com a website for racers, riders and fans.
    Motocross and Supercross track and trail listings,
    schools, clubs, news and articles. With great how-to
    articles for riding and tuning tips.

46. Hi Guys, did you try this great website http://www.tellustalk.com for text messaging and fax via email and XML.

Receive and send text messages and faxes all over the world through your email account.

You send a normal email and within seconds we ensure that it arrives
    to all the mobile phones and/or faxes that you have selected.
    One email. To a thousand faxes and mobiles.

It is very simple, You don’t need to invest in any hardware or install anything.